Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Today we went to Stanford for Memorial Day.  Our first stop was the Strouf Pioneer Cemetery.  It is located pretty much out in the middle of nowhere south west of Denton.  It's just off the county road that is a cut-across from Denton to Stanford.


I've always called it the "family cemetery".  The first occupant of the cemetery was Anna Strouf, (1843-1908).  She would be my great-great-grandmother. 


This is my dad's side of the family.  My grandparents, great aunts and uncles, aunts and uncles, etc. are buried there.  If you dig back through the lines far enough, I'm related to almost all people there. 


It was very interesting walking through there today.  It is definitely a pioneer cemetery.  Just reading the names on the headstones, you can clearly see that this area was inhabited by Bohemians and Germans:  Kreinbring, Ernzer, Makovsky, Fogltanc, Hetzel, Svejkovsky, Lokjicek, Ostertag!  In fact the cemetery was originally called "The National Bohemian Cemetery".  There were a few stones that were actually carved in Bohemian: Otpocive Jte V  Pokoji.  (I have yet to translate that).  I have found out that "Narozen" is "born", and "Zemrel" is "died".  I have written down some more phrases that I have found that I need to translate.


There are no signs pointing the way to Strouf Pioneer Cemetery, so it can be difficult to find.  There have been a few occasions that the hearse has missed the turn-off for the burial and someone has had to chase them down and get them turned around.  This has happened enough times that now one of our family members takes the lead and gets everyone there safe and sound.

Oh well. It's a nice quiet, serene spot, with a great view of Square Butte.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment